Tuesday 10 October 2017

Research into Similar Products: Choices of music/soundtrack.

Now that I have looked at some different genres I understand the basic requirements of them. one thing that always stands out for a film trailer is the soundtrack and music used. For an audience member music can create a specific atmosphere for the film and create a wide range of opinions on the film. The music/soundtrack must also be able to assist in conveying to the audience the tone of the film whilst still being relevant to the film itself. A recognizable song may also increase a films audience as it is popular and would want the audience to see the film or be interested enough to research into it themselves. Furthermore now that I have looked at genres I will now list what I believe makes a successful soundtrack for a film.


The codes and conventions of a successful soundtrack/segment of music.

-The piece of music has to, in some shape or form, correspond with the film. For example using a bone chilling piece of music that can build tension and keep the audience engaged for a thriller 
-Not to over use the music to much as it may draw away from the main view point which is the film trailer and the characters within.
-Having the lyrics relate to the film somehow. Not necessarily used all the time but can show that the director has taken time to think about what to use instead of just placing something in.
-The music occasionally correlates with what is happening in the trailer. We saw this in the wonder women trailer. As she was climbing the wall a beat was heard each time she hit the wall.
-The music should build up slowly allowing the characters to establish themselves before showing other key points where dialogue is not needed 
-The music used can also imply the attitudes of characters and the tone of a film. for example we learn that 'StarLord' from 'Guardians of the Galaxy' has an 80s mix-tape therefore in the trailers 80s music can be heard such as 'Hooked on a feeling' suggesting that although the film is action it will also be a non - serious film with various comedic moments.

For my film trailer it would be hard to determine what type of music I would like to incorporate into my work as I am not completely decided on genre. however as I have researched into Thriller and Action I have picked a few songs I feel would fit the conventions of these genres.
- for my trailer I can only use around 14- 15 seconds of a song. this ensures I don't make it the main focus of the trailer.



The song 'Gimme Shelter' composed by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, the lead singer and guitarist of the Rolling Stones, is a song that I have listened to multiple times and feel that certain aspects of this song would be suitable for the action film genre. This classic stones song has a slow build up which could be used to establish setting and characters. This goes on for around 40 seconds. We are then given an more upbeat tune which again could be used for an action sequence which would , along with the characters and setting, establish the tone and ethos of the movie. 

"Oh, a storm is threat'ning
My very life today
If I don't get some shelter
Oh yeah, I'm gonna fade away"

These are the opening lines for the song which could be seen as a metaphor. The storm may be seen as some kind of battlement or army approaching which gives us a link to the action genre. It may also be interpreted that a bombardment may be happening, such as the London blitz. These themes suggested throughout the entire song. Overall this song has a fast paced' upbeat tempo which would be suitable for the action genre and one I am strongly considering.

A Thriller trailer, in my opinion, doesn't need to use a particularly scary song but one that can keep the audience engaged with that narrative of the film. usually I find that the music is mainly instrumental with very little dialogue. Below is a song that could be used for a trailer. 

          
'Sabotage' By the Beastie Boys to me is another candidate for both the Action and Thriller. After the chorus and especially after the lyrics 

"I'm tellin' y'all it's a sabotage" 
"I'm trying to tell you now it's sabotage" 

The instrumental post this would fit perfectly for a thriller. It incorporates the use of loud beats every few seconds that vaguely reminds me of other soundtracks that could be used for a thriller such as the Joker's theme from the dark night which is considered to be a thriller its self. 
I am only allowed to have around 14 seconds of  of music and due to the instrumental being around 12 seconds i could easily use this for a thriller. 

These are just two examples of songs i feel would be suitable for these genres. I will look into more songs i feel would be suitable for my genre once i have decided on it. The song will also be dependent on my plot of my trailer to make sure it suits the genre ethos and ideology . 

No comments:

Post a Comment