Friday 16 February 2018

Drafting and Planning: Initial Magazine Ideas



Whilst my trailer first draft is being marked over the half term It is important that I look at my ancillary products like my poster and magazine. I have researched into various different magazines but I have decided that  Empire magazine is the magazine I want to do for my film.   
Now I know the magazine I want to do I can begin drafting my ideas for my movie magazine. I have begun thinking about possible ideas for my trailer magazine.  I will do a separate blog post to show how all of my research from magazines has affected my final product when that is completed.


Below are three badly drawn Magazine covers, which I have created,  which are accompanied by a real Empire cover. The Empire front cover is what I hope my final product to look like. The reason I have put my draft magazines and these covers together is because they have similarities in the layout and the main images are similar to what I intend mine to look like.
 


This is a magazine I like a lot. Mainly due to the
colour scheme as it connotes the evil of these
characters which makes the poster stand out as a
whole. I also like the layout and the
arrangement of the key figures of this poster
which has inspired me to do something similar.

In this draft I have decided to include three
central figures from my trailer. I really like
this as it gives a greater importance to the
other characters and shows a sense of  unity
and leadership. This is similar to The Force
Awakens cover to the right. However they use
the antagonist as the cover star which is
something to consider 



 
 

This is the Hunger games cover and has Katniss
directly addressing the audience with eye
contact. This cover has an array of
conventions which are needed on a magazine
most of the time. We see her entire body but
looking at others I could also only have just the
upper part of the body for my photos.
Most movie magazines seem to have the
central figure at the heart of their magazine
This emphasises that they are the key
figure in the film but also shows a strong
main character who can stand on their own.
This is similar to the hunger games magazine
which has Katniss as the central character
which goes against the women stereotype











 


This Last Jedi cover is a huge influence on this
idea for my magazine. I like this one a lot
as well due to the simplistic colour scheme.
There isn't many cover lines or puffs which
are the usual conventions but this doesn't stop
me from doing this myself  
My last Draft is having the two main protagonists
back to back but still looking towards the audience.
The direct address seems to be an important feature
of the main image and is a common occurrence in
the main image of a movie magazine. Having the
two protagonists back to back shows they watch
out for one another and are on the same level. This
is like the last Jedi cover to the right.
On my A-level journey in Media studies I have done a Magazine cover before whilst doing the As year of this court. From doing this I am much more well equipped to create a magazine cover for my film. In the As part of the course I also created a contents page and a double page-spread (DPS). But this is mot a requirement for the trailer just a magazine cover. From doing the As part of the course I know what type of photos are required for my photo shoot meaning I can transfer my skills from As to A2

In my drafts I have kept two things the same:
  • The location of the Masthead. In all magazines a masthead is used to make the magazine instantly recognisable to its audience and will always be present on the front of a magazine and usually always in the same place but it may shift to be more central which it isn't in my draft.
  • The main cover line will always be the largest cover line on the page and can move in accordance to the photograph used.
The 2nd draft will be a wide shot showing the whole body yet the other two will be closer and the legs down will barley be seen.

I will begin drafting my magazine and poster, when the shots are taken,on Page plus. The software I am using to create both my ancillaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment