Monday 11 December 2017

Drafting and Planning: Poster Tagline



Now that I have my idea for my trailer confirmed I can now begin creating ideas for my ancillary products. From researching into posters I have found that an effective poster had a tag line which helps audiences remember the film more easily or catches the audiences attention. A tagline should never draw away from the main title of the film but adds more information to the film creating a deeper understanding of the plot just from the poster. It should be a quick or quirky caption to engage the audience or one that doesn't make much sense as audiences need to see the film to understand it creating mystery around the film or the central characters. Some of the posters I thought were good are below as they offer variation to the poster tagline.

Looking at the posters on the left hand side there is a wide range of posters from various genres, such as Thriller, Horror, Action and Adventure etc. each tagline is tailored to the films genre. For example 'The Woman in Black' poster has the tagline '' Do you believe in ghosts?''. This is a rhetorical question and directly addresses the audience. The title of the film may not necessarily reveal what the film is about however the tagline reveals that it is based around a ghost.

  • Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade - '' The man in the hat is back, and this time he's bringing his dad ''
  • Alien Covenant - '' Run '' 
  • Its Alive - ''There's only ONE thing wrong with this baby''
  • No Country for Old Men - "There Are No Clean Getaways"
  • The 40 Year Old Virgin - ''The Longer You Wait The Harder It Gets''
  • Paranoia - ''Trust No One'' 
These other taglines all incorporate different techniques to make them effective. The last crusade made use of a rhyme to create a deeper understanding of the film, who was involved and to help the film stay in people's memories. Alien covenant used a simply but effective ''Run'' to emphasise the danger that the astronauts are in and to connote to the audience a dark tone of the film. It's Alive connected the tagline to the title ''There's only ONE thing wrong with this baby ... ITS ALIVE'' making it very easy for the audience to remember, as audience members will wonder what's so bad about a baby. The 40 year old virgin's tagline directly links to the films plot. ''The harder it gets'' This tagline could be seen as quite comedic with a bit of sexual referencing.

From researching into this I have come up with my own taglines for my film trailer.
  • At least it can't get any worse ... or can it?
  • No one is safe 
  • He's coming
  • There Are No Days Off
  • A group of dysfunctional idiots and radiation poisoning. Two of his favourite things.  
  • Hunt before You're Hunted 
  • They have a plan ... but not a clue

I will confer with my class and see what they think about my suggests for taglines but at the moment  I am pleased with what I have found out about taglines and the ones I have came up with.







No comments:

Post a Comment