Monday 26 March 2018

Drafting and Planning: Magazine Development and final changes.











This was the state that i left my magazine in since last time I blogged about it. since then i have made some changes to the cover-lines of my magazine. Ready Player One Comes out in March and therefore wouldn't have a place, as a cover line, in an April issue of Empire. Therefore i have removed it and replaced it with 'Rampage'. Originally i was going to include Infinity war but then I released it is too big of a film that it would just be a cover-line and not a front cover and I already have two Marvel films as my other cover lines and a third wouldn't look realistic. There for i have gone with rampage as it is a big film that isn't Marvel related.

  • This is the photo I used for magazine. I decided to cut this photo out of its background so i could place it on my magazine without the background and cover the Empire Logo which is common with any movie magazine. 
  • I also decided to add an effect on the masthead and the main image. It made them appear as if they had a shadow round them, which made them look more professional and realistic. 

Here we see the new cover line and the image which i have edited to have a shadow to make it look realistic. i have added a grey background to the magazine suggesting the dystopian world and the tone of the film. I have also added more conventions: 

  • A puff which is meant to give the audience a special offer or section of the magazine which is made to be attractive on its own to draw the reader to that if they are not intrigued by the main image. 

  • A date and price in the M of EMPIRE logo which is something they do a lot of. this informs the reader what issue they are buying and the price. I placed the price at £4.50 which is the cost of this magazine but it has changed over the years. 

  • A bar code which gives a realistic feel to the magazine and makes it look professional. 

  • Main cover- line which links directly to the main image. it utilises a typography that is used in my trailer and poster giving a direct link to the dystopian world. ''Adam Tooley On Surviving In The Wasteland'' Is written underneath to give the readers an insight to what the article is about. It implies and interview

  • A plug is used at the bottom to show what else is inside the magazine apart from the main cover film

Total Conventions 
  • Main Image 
  • Main Cover line 
  • Masthead 
  • Date 
  • Price 
  • Bar code 
  • Cover lines 
  • Puff
  • Skyline (Talked about in previous blog post in earlier stages) 
  • Plug

This cover meets all of the codes and conventions of film magazines that I looked into, specifically Empire magazine itself.  Whilst looking realistic and professional, it also conveys the tone of the film through colour and facial expression. I am also happy with this ancillary product!

No comments:

Post a Comment